Now...(drumroll please)...the winner of all those books is....
Congratulations, Nicole. I'll send you an email to let you know when all your new books are coming.
If you are on Twitter, you undoubtedly followed all the greatness of the SCBWI conference this week. Holy cow. There are no words. So much greatness. Judy Blume, Richard Peck, Gary Paulsen, Jon Scieszka, Bruce Coville, Jerry Pickney, Libba Bray, Laurie Halse Anderson, Marla Frazee...
It was undoubtedly one of the best things I've ever done as a writer. Plus, I got to stay with my New Zealand CP Carrie, which, you know, absolutely ruled. (Especially because she spent every free moment helping me plot GESTAPO).
Here are my highlights:
1. Day One: Ate lunch poolside sandwiched between Judy Blume and Bruce Coville.
2. Gary Paulsen: "Kill your TV. It's all crap. Also, we should be allowed to hunt lawyers. Every person should be allowed to kill at least three lawyers."
3. Jon Scieszka when asked about SpaceHeadz ebook: "You'd think since its a multi-media platform book, they'd make the ebook right, but it really sucks. It doesn't really work at all."
4. Day Two: Libba Bray told me she likes my glasses, then wrote down their make and model.
5. Carrie and I totally skipped the PJ party and ate burritos and wrote in our room instead. (We considered going down to dance, but then they started in with the "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" and we scrapped the idea).
6. Donna Jo Napoli: "If you need to write it, chances are there are people out there---a lot of people--who need to read it." (Yes, I totally found her afterwards and gave her a giant hug)
7. I ate WHITE FOOD the entire time. And also, this... (yes, it's a chocolate book with a 40 on it)
I laughed and cried a lot at this conference. And felt like I wanted to go back and write something great. I also spent an ungodly amount of money at Starbucks. And because there are 24 usable hours in every day, I knitted this:
And for those of you wondering, John Green couldn't make it because of gall bladder surgery...yes, my John Green is Kaiser Soze theory looks pretty solid right now. I think the VLOGS might be CG.