Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What I've Learned on Vacation So Far...

We are three days into our vacation so far. I have completed revisions on GESTAPO (win). I have read two manuscripts. And I have reconnected with family and friends (hooray!) Here's what I have learned....

1. It's never a good idea to feed your children donuts before taking them to a wave pool.
2. In Minnesota, they have pianos in the street. My son doesn't want to practice on these any more than he does on ours. 
My son is the one reading his book, pretending the piano doesn't exist. 

3. It takes 30 minutes to get anywhere in Minnesota. So we've gotten to know the inside of the car pretty well. (Sweet Lord, please do not let someone step on poop and bring it in). 

4. They have a museum where you can give yourself electrical shocks (a science museum called the Bakken). Here's Patric after 90 minutes in that place.
Don't mind me, my face hasn't moved, but I'm fine, really.
5. We've been to a book store with rats, cats, birds, ferrets, chickens, and a chinchilla. The kids loved it. I couldn't help but wonder how Maggie Stiefvater would feel knowing a chicken was sitting on top of the book display of all her books.  

6. My aunt's dog suffers from anxiety attacks and is on daily doses of Prozac. He gets startled easily and really doesn't like any sudden movements. Luckily, I brought 3 small children. No sudden movements there. (ahem)

What fun things are you all doing this week? Anyone going to WriteOnCon? Lots of great stuff happening over there. Also, don't forget that next week, I'm "talking to the teen" so hit me with any teen questions you have.


12 comments:

Léna Roy said...

Awesomely funny. Love the pic of Patric!

Molly D said...

I am trying to take Argentine public transportation without getting lost! Super fun!

AliyaPM said...

Hah, sounds like a very interesting vacation!
Can't wait for out "talking to the teen"!

So I've got big plans in October with Tiffany from "perfectly" inked! and I was going to contact you about them and see if you would like to join us. Our plans are far along, but still forming.

Heather said...

It sounds like you're having a fun, crazy time! And yes, I have to wonder what Maggie would think of that to. LOL! Interesting book store!

Tara Tyler said...

ha ha hee! fun and interesting facts!

Mark Noce said...

Wow, you have really productive vacations! Don't forget to relax too:)

J. A. Bennett said...

That looks like so much fun! I've never been to Minnesota, but now I'm tempted. I'm also curious about the chickens, what is that name of that book store?

Monica B.W. said...

YAY! I love pics, thanks for sharing.
And congrats on finishing the revisions! :D

Deana said...

I am rolling on the floor over your vacation fun. That pic of Patric is priceless!!! And the pianos in the street? Who knew?

Kelley said...

#2 =s awesome.

E.R. King said...

Oh my gosh. Donuts and a wave pool...that's a very vivid pic you just painted!
Glad you're having fun on your vacay!

LisaAnn said...

This post actually just made me laugh out loud--especially the part about the dog on Prozac. I have a blind dog who hates kids, but his face is generally at kid eye level, and they just looooove running up and trying to hug his neck. A lawsuit waiting to happen, really. ;)