In the meantime, I've been thinking about some things I would say to my teen self if I came across her today and I thought it would be fun to share:
1. "Hey Christa, that guy you're with. Not the right guy. The nice guy who actually likes you is much better."
I believe we've all had that conversation with our teen selves. Mine is particularly painful because I've sadly had to interact with the "wrong choice" ex-boyfriend in the kids' school car pool line 17 years after we broke up. And yes, before you ask, I was holding my carpool #69 up at the time. So humiliating. He's still not the right guy. Trust me.
2. "Hey Christa, you'll regret wearing those shoes to prom one day."
|It did seem like a good idea at the time.|
3. "Hey Christa, stop taking yourself so seriously. Laugh more and eat more."
I think these words of wisdom still hold today. I was a dark and broody teen (I know, you're shocked). It would have been nice to have spent more time outside than in my room reading The Bell Jar. Really, I don't think anyone needs to read that book more than twice although I still love the poetry of Sylvia Plath.
4. "Hey Christa, you talk too much when you drink. And it always ends badly."
Um, I might need to be reminded of this on a weekly basis. Just saying.
And finally, because I am watching my daughter on the cusp of tweendom, I offer advice to my tween self....
5. "Hey Tween Christa, it may seem like a demotion to be made the Bulldog mascot after that one disastrous pom pom routine where you knocked the entire squad over like a row of dominos, but really, mascots have more fun."
I'd love to hear what you all would say to your teen or tween selves.