Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Inside the Author's Studio with CJ Omololu


I am very excited to have CJ Omololu as today's guest for Inside the Author's Studio because she has a book birthday today!! That's right, her book TRANSCENDENCE comes out today. And one of you lucky duckies will receive a copy of it. All you have to do is comment and random.org will take care of picking a winner. Before we get to the interview, you might want to take a minute to drool over perhaps one of my favorite covers of the year so far.


When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open the floodgate of memories even wider.

As their feelings grow, Griffon reveals their common bond as members of the Akhet—an elite group of people who can remember past lives and use their collected wisdom for the good of the world. But not all Akhet are altruistic, and a rogue is after Cole to avenge their shared past. Now in extreme danger, Cole must piece together clues from many lifetimes. What she finds could ruin her chance at a future with Griffon, but risking his love may be the only way to save them both.


Full of danger, romance, and intrigue, Transcendence breathes new life into a perpetually fascinating question: What would you do with another life to live?


And now, on to the questions...


What is your favorite word? Sold.
What is your least favorite word? Review. Maybe that’s just the scariest.
What turns your current MC on? The beautiful boy on the cover of the book.
What turns your current MC off? Selfishness.
What sound do you love?  The ding that says I have a new email. I always think it’s good news.
What sound do you hate? My alarm clock.
What is your favorite YA quirk? (i.e. The Colonel’s desire to give everyone nicknames) Teens who name their cars.
What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Professional singing. Except I can’t. At all.
What profession would you rather bathe in a vat of urine than attempting? Pilot. Just thinking about flying gives me panic.
If John Green exists and sits at your table at a SCBWI conference, what would you like him to say to you? “I love reincarnation stories and I’ll be Tweeting about your book.”
Actually, I met John a few times years ago. When he was promoting Katherines, we were at a signing with just three other people, so we did get a chance to chat and I tried to explain to him that while I LOVED Alaska, I didn’t think it was appropriate for my then 9 year-old (he disagreed).  I’d love to see if his perspective has changed now that he’s a dad. 

Thank you, CJ! Happy book birthday! You are wonderful and write wonderful things. So glad that you stopped by. 

14 comments:

Stina said...

I haven't read Alaska yet, but I did try to get my 11 yo to read it, because it was from a guy's point of view and my son was bored (and I had the book). It wasn't until recently that I read a portion of the book for a course on sex in YA. Thank God my son hadn't wanted to read the book. He wasn't ready for that one scene used in class. Heck, I wasn't ready for him to read the one scene.

Love the cover and premise for Transcendence. :D

roxanne s. sukhan said...

Great interview!

Talli Roland said...

Congrats to CJ! And sold is indeed a great word. :)

CJ Omololu said...

Thanks for the interview Christa! I did want to point out that while my 9 year old didn't read ALASKA he did read it at 14 and LOVED it. LOOKING FOR ALASKA is the book that got me started writing YA in the first place - I can't recommend it enough.

Jennie Bennett said...

Very pretty cover, and intriguing blurb. And I'm totally about singing, even if you can't :)

M.J. Fifield said...

Very intriguing blurb.

I always love reading people's answers to the John Green question.

Emily R. King said...

Very cool idea. This sounds like a captivating read. Cole and Griffon are great names!

Jolene Perry said...

Great interview!
And this story sounds like a way lot of fun :-D

erica and christy said...

Ha to the favorite word - I guess it's fitting in this case! And Cole is an interesting choice for a girl's name. . .
erica

Brinda said...

I absolutely love the cover of this book. The blurb has me leaving this blog to add to my Goodreads list.

Tara Tyler said...

great interview and sounds like a good book!

Anonymous said...

Its great to meet CJ. And I agree that SOLD is a favorite word!

Leigh Covington said...

How exciting!!! You're right, the cover is amazing and the book sounds so wonderful! Whoo-hoo! Yay for book birthdays! I hate the sound of my alarm clock too. That's the worst. I'm the type that likes to wake up when I'm good and ready :)

Jenny S. Morris said...

Love the interview. That book cover is all sorts of amazing. And the books sounds so cool. Adding it to my TBR. It would be interesting to know if John still thinks that. LOL.