Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Buffy...Obv!

So in continuing my fictional characters Secret Life A-Z Blogfest, I can't help but turn to Joss Whedon's Buffy for my B.

I am of the school of thought that all roads lead to YA (okay, if I must, I will also include MG but only for Carrie's benefit).  There are few things that I can't make YA related.  I believe I mentioned my ability to turn a Langston Hughes civil rights story into a YA novel, yes?  Tip of the iceberg, my friends.

My YA passion started early but certainly rose to epic proportions when Buffy the Vampire Slayer became my weekly obsession.  (Not lying, I had just delivered my first baby and made everyone but my husband leave the hospital room so I could watch Buffy).

Buffy is a whole plate of Awesome with Awesomesauce on the side.  If you haven't watched the seven seasons of fun, I am sad for you and encourage you to immediately remedy this problem.

And if that's not enough, you need to grab Joss Whedon's Buffy Season 8 Graphic Novel series.  Holy cow!

There is another B who is involved with vampires who will NEVER live up to the Awesome of Buffy.  So she will have to remain in the wings, curling into herself, and lamenting how unworthy she is of vampire love while Buffy kicks A$% all over the screen (or pages of graphic novel) asserting herself as the perfect balance of vulnerability and awesome female strength.

Notable Buffy quotes:

"So are you going to kill me or are we just making small talk?"

"Come on, we fight monsters, this is what we do. They show up, they scare us, I beat them up, and they go away."

And my favorite...

"If the apocalypse comes, beep me."

11 comments:

Paige said...

No quotes from Tabula Rasa - my all time favorite episode. Remember Randy Giles :-) but I love this exchange between Anya and Buffy aka Joan :-)
Buffy: Slay someone? A female someone. Who do those jerks think they are?
Anya: Bloodsuckers. They kill by sucking blood. Take it easy, Joan.

Jeffrey Pierce said...

Hooray for Buffy! I've not only watched all seven seasons but read "Season Eight" in comic book form. Definitely a fan of Joss. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

carey said...

so much buffy love! i didn't catch onto the show til season 6 was airing, but once i saw the musical episode i was a joss fan for life.

M.J. Fifield said...

I am a huge Buffy fan and I totally agree with you on that other B.

I'm starting to read the Season Eight graphic novels now.

I miss that show.


M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Carrie said...

'I'm an old-fashioned gal. I was raised to believe that men dig up the corpses and the women have the babies.'

Love her.

Thanks for the MG respect :)

Marie Rearden said...

Love this! I want to put awesomesauce on everything I eat. Other B girl? Yuck. Dawn? Eye roll. Riley? Can we say two finger salute? :)

Great post!

Marie at the Cheetah

ali cross said...

I. Love. Buffy. Seriously. In a big, big way. So much so that my mantra for adding trouble to my MS's is to ask myself, "What Would Joss Whedon Do?" :D

Trisha said...

Buffy is awesome!!! I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan :D

Sue said...

Good luck with working your way through the alphabet! It sounds like fun.

Sue@JumpingAground

Heather M. Gardner said...

"You know, I always say that a day without an autopsy is like a day without sunshine." -- Buffy

Joss Whedon is my Master now.

RosieC said...

I LOVE BUFFY! I'm watching it right now, actually. Enjoying some season 1 :) I can't say I've kicked anyone out of my hospital room, but I love it all the same :)

Rosie
East for Green Eyes