Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D is for Darcy

I met my husband Julio when I was 23. I tell everyone I fell in love with him after hearing his laugh over the phone. My boss at the time was interviewing him and I was the go-between in setting up the interview (yes, some would read that as I was a secretary and they would be right; picture me as Jane Fonda in 9-5).

Julio wasn't looking to fall in love. He told me he wanted to date casually.

I thought about this for about a minute and then I said, "No, I don't think so. If you aren't my Mr. Darcy, you need to get out of the way because he is looking for me and I don't want to be tied down to some casual dater when he shows up."

The next day, Julio decided to become my Mr. Darcy. I don't say this lightly. I am much more high maintenance than Elizabeth. (I know, you're shocked). And I have four parents, not just two although none of them are a Mrs. Bennett, thank the Lord. Still my Julio has the integrity, loyalty, and strength of character of Mr. Darcy. And there is no doubt in my mind that he would lay down in traffic for any member of our family. *Swoon*

Believe it or not, I hadn't read any Jane Austen until I lived in London as a 21 year old. I had taken tons of English classes in college but somehow, the Romantics sort of passed me by. (In the meantime, I managed to read EVERY play that Shakespeare wrote). But I happened to be in London when the BBC first released their epic Pride & Prejudice soap opera. I call it a soap opera because each part was aired once a week and we students got together and watched it with the voracity of the people who have American Idol parties these days. After the series was over, I read all of Jane Austen.

Here's why I love Darcy...it is his change that really drives the plot of P&P. Elizabeth, not so much. Darcy is the character that we all grow to love. He is the character whose evolution is the most riveting.

Plus, you know...the casting didn't suck either.


15 comments:

anthony stemke said...

Nice story, but you took a chance choosing all or nothing. Selecting a casual dating situation can be steered into permanance, or if not, discarded when Mr D'arcy shows up.
Anyway, Thank You.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh Colin Firth. The bestest Mr. Darcy ever.


M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Jeffrey Pierce said...

What an absolutely enchanting story. Thank you for the warm, happy glow.... :)

Paige said...

Yes, I love how Darcy changes! Take for instance this first description he gives of Elizabeth: She is tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men.

But then he redeems himself so lovely indeed: But that was only when I first knew her, for it is many months since I have considered her as one of the handsomest women of my acquaintance.

Ahhh, good man Darcy, we are happy to have found ours and wish merry luck to those still searching!

JulieDD said...

Interesting character profile/story. Thanks!

I found your blog while visiting and exploring blogs via the A to Z Blog challenge. If you are interested my blogs are

http://dailyhomeschoollinks.blogspot.com/
http://infinityf3.blogspot.com/

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

A nice story-- and how cool to have watched P&P like that-- waiting for the next episode, just like Lost! So glad you are doing the I dig reading challenge!!!!! Thank you.

carey said...

the bbc p&p premiered in the us during my senior year of high school, when i was spending the whole year doing an author study on austen. i was a very happy girl. also, colin firth. aw, man.

Marie Rearden said...

Thank you for giving me my Firth fix for the day. And Darcy. Austen-style swoon.

Marie at the Cheetah

Alexis Bass said...

*Swoon* Mr. Darcy, Colin Firth, Jane Austen - and even crazy Mrs. Bennete - fantastic post. I heart D Day!

Tara Tyler said...

I love Colin Firth. He's the best non-interested to interested guy who can't express himself ever! (Love Actually, Bridget Jones, What a Girl Wants, etc)
Happy D Day =)

Angelina Rain said...

That is such a cute story about your husband. I have to say though, all the men I’ve met are only looking for “something casual”. Love just sneaks up on them, and that’s the beauty of it. My husband told me on our first date that he will never get married again. Yeah, right, and now he has my name tattooed on his ring finger.

ali cross said...

I love this! Your Julio is one smart man. :)

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh my goodness how I love Colin Firth as Darcy. (Swoon) I love that you told your husband it was either all or nothing. Glad he made the right decision! :-)

Carrie said...

Love this story and Mr Darcy. Julio made the right choice (obviously). When are they going to remake P&P with a certain AM as Lizzie? She is perfect for that role...

Lisa Galek said...

Ah, you've hit on one of my favorite subjects! I could discuss Darcy for days! I didn't read Austen until I was about 25 and now I'm hooked so I know how you feel!