Monday, April 18, 2011

O is for...O....MG

You've probably heard that OMG is now in the Oxford English Dictionary. So is a definition for "muffin top." I am not sure how I feel about this. I have a good deal of interest in feminist linguistics and don't love the idea of muffin top (which is used almost exclusively to describe an affliction of girls and our troubling fashions) being an OED authorized part of our vocabulary.

But that's a debate for a different time. Today's discussion is about the status of my WIP RADIO STATIONS ARE FOR LOSERS.  Here's what I've done in the past six weeks on this:

1. Written one very short chapter. (accomplished in 2 hours)
2. Asked everyone and their sister if they think its really an MG novel and then disregarded them in order to continue stressing about it on my own. (still in progress)

There are a boatload of blog posts dedicated to this YA/MG distinction. I particularly like this one by Ani Louise. Yes, it should be fairly simple. After all, my characters are in high school.  And yet, I still have concerns about this not quite being YA.

First, my MC is 14 and at the beginning of her freshman year.
Second, the stakes aren't high in the way they are for GESTAPO.  (Yes, they don't get much higher than a girl dying and her boyfriend being implicated in it but there is also just a feeling in how my G characters interact that is A LOT older than RSAFL).
Third, it's a "first" love story.

Unfortunately, I have equal concerns over whether this fits in the MG area (not the least of which is my MC gives her love interest a chest hickey).

To be completely honest, I suspect all of this is just a way of procrastinating over revisions. I have lots of revisions to make and I need to just write the thing and figure it out later...at least that's what I keep trying to tell myself.

Until I find someone new to ask if they think I'm writing MG or YA....

What are your favorite things to stress about to avoid writing/revising/getting something done?

 

6 comments:

Sylvia Ney said...

I think we all do this to some extent. We just find different excuses.;-) I'm glad I found your blog. I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

kah said...

I stress/procrastinate too. My newest idea is adult but I keep debating whether to do it in 1st person or 3rd.

And thanks for reminding me I need to work on my muffin top. ;)

erica and christy said...

Can it be "young YA"? I know, not helpful, but still, I'd lean towards YA from your description. My son's 10 and reading MG, but nothing about first love (unless it's a crush).

I just watched the Writeoncon chat with agent Natalie Fisher and someone pitched her an MG novel with a 14-yr-old mc and she said "14's too old for MG" if that helps!
erica

M.J. Fifield said...

I find when I need to avoid writing/revising, I'm suddenly very interested in actually doing housework. If I want to avoid housework, I find I desperately need to write.

I agree that 14 might be too old for MG. I don't know a lot about it but that's how it feels.

Alexis Bass said...

I always fret over my work during revisions. It's healthy-ish, I think.

And also - your GESTAPO teasers make me want to read the book ASAP. :)

Carrie said...

It's YA!

And no, I never ever walk-the-dogs-go-to-the-gym-sit-on-the-couch-unwashed-in-my-pjs-eating-dry-cereal when I should be revising.