Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Curious George!

I would like to take a moment to honor the brilliance of H.A. Rey. First, the premise of a curious monkey is Awesome and the device of using the man with the yellow hat to constantly save George from the shenanigans he gets himself into is completely brilliant.  Not to mention the ability to seamlessly throw George into a plethora of trouble in a mere thirty pages.  

To illustrate, let's take CURIOUS GEORGE GETS A MEDAL:

George starts off receiving a letter. He decides to write his own letter but makes a mess with the ink. In trying to clean up, he adds too many bubbles and ultimately, floods the room. He needs a pump to get the water out of the room. He decides to borrow the farmer's pump. He gets distracted by the animals and lets all the pigs out. He steals a cow but the farmer almost catches him so he hides on a clothesline. He jumps on a truck and ends up at a museum where he destroys the dinosaur exhibit. The museum curator is mad but luckily, the man with the yellow hat shows up and it turns out the curator wants George to be the first monkey to evacuate a rocket. 
George does it and earns a medal.  

All of this happens in one short book. It's completely brilliant. And I don't think I need to tell you how frequently I envision (or sadly experience) a Curious George scenario playing itself in my house with three small children.

Part of me wonders if I could pull off a YA book like this. The MG genre seems to have capitalized on the Curious George formula quite well.  Look at Percy Jackson.  Percy's quests are basically just a variation of George's curiosity. Ditto Mysterious Benedict Society.

But YA...hmmm...can you name any YA books that use the Curious George formula?  

5 comments:

Jeffrey Pierce said...

I have a feeling I'll be looking back on my favorite Curious George books throughout the day. Thank you! :)

M.J. Fifield said...

Yea! Curious George!! I love that monkey!!

I can't think of any YA novels that use that formula off the top of my head. I'll have to think about it.


M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Melissa Sarno said...

I love Curious George :-) He is the best. Hmmm, that's a good question about the YA books. A lot of Harry Potter seems to be about the trio sticking their nose where it doesn't belong or being ultra curious about things that are amiss.

Unknown said...

Curious George is so cleaver. I'm following you. Fellow A-Z challenger.

Tara Tyler said...

Nice work. He had that man in the yellow hat running all over town (would've liked to see a live version with Will Farrell =)
Happy C & D days!